French health insurance


Obligatory Health Insurance


National Health Service

Ever.o.e will need to contact the NHS at one point.
It is the DWP that will issue your documents showing your reciprocal rights to French social security cover.
Even those with no rights will need to contact the DWP to obtain a document proving your ineligibility.
0044 (0) 191 218 (1999) or (7777)

r.o.or="" cellpadding="2" width="500" align="right">

Link to the "Accessing healthcare in France" NHS Official page.


The EHIC is entirely free of charge.  However, other, unofficial, websites may charge you if you apply through them. If you're having difficulties with the online application form, to update your details, or to replace a lost or stolen card, call the automated EHIC application service on 0845 606 2030.

Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie

French equivalent to the NHS.
French Social Security for salaried workers.
If you are employed in France, your employer must contribute to your health cover.
People still in possession of international rights must register with their local CPAM office.
Contact the English help line on 0811 36 36 46
r.o.or="" cellpadding="2" width="500" align="right">

Find your local CPAM office and contact details.
Simply put your post code, validate and chose the closest office to your location.

 On the AMELI site, you can see your account and reimbursements from the CPAM(French only).On your first visit you will need to enter your French social security number, name, date of birth and post code.You will receive from CPAM an access code permitting you to access via this link.
Information regarding the "Sécurité Sociale" with links at the bottom to the different French regimes depending on your status..
 The official site in English for the CLEISS"Centre of European and International Liaisons for Social Security".

Regime Social des Independants.

French Social Security for self-employed workers.
NB. RSI is the administrative umbrella and will not reimburse medical treatment.
Reimbursements come from a third-party called "Régime Obligatoire" (r.o.) that you must choose upon registration of your activity.
When choosing your RO. bare in mind that some of the smaller.o. local ones do not have the "TELETRANSMITION" facility with the Top-Ups.
This will not alter your rights but you will have to send off paper.o.k to get reimbursed. 

Couverture Maladie Universelle.

French Social Security for people without valid “S1” forms who are no longer active and/or.o.ten have limited or no resources.
The CMU will grant access to the CPAM provided that you have lived in France for more than five years or possibly less in case of unplanned eventualities.  English helpline – 0811 363 646